Thursday, January 10, 2013

life is too short not to sing and dance

I really should be more embarrassed by the things that constantly happen to me, but I'm not... no shame I tell you, no shame.

So while I was in Halifax, I got back into the habit of listening to music ridiculously loud while I was driving, and singing at the top of my lungs. I can't do this in Vancouver because:
A - I don't have a car, so when I drive Amanda's car she 'slightly' judges me when I'm this ridiculous.
B - People give me weird looks if I sing while taking public transit (I know this from experience).

Okay, back to my Halifax story... While I was there, anywhere that my brother (Christian) and I went, you better believe we drove there in style. I'm talking music blasting, base booming, and the best damn dance moves you've ever seen. At any given moment, whether we were in gridlock traffic, driving down the highway, stopped at red lights, or in drive-thru lines, I guarantee you that we looked exactly like this:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

When Christian and I get together we get pretty crazy, and I honestly love every second of it. So, one day when we were out driving around and running some errands, we stopped at Timmie's drive-thru to pick up Christian's daily dose of caffeine. After I placed his order with the nice girl at the drive-thru speaker, I turned to face Christian to say something JUST as some catchy song came on the radio. Being, well, me - I cranked up the music and serenaded Christian for a solid 30-60 seconds before I heard this voice come from the speaker phone: "Um, I'm sorry to interrupt but I just wanted to let you know that you have a lovely voice". My head snapped to the left to look at the speaker and this is when I lost it... I mean full-blown laughing so hard that I was crying, and I literally had nothing to say - it's probably one of the few times I've ever been speechless.

During my fit of laughter and inching closer to the window as the cars in front of us were picking up their coffee and leaving, so many thoughts flickered through my mind: what to I say to the girl when I pay? should I thank her? should I make eye contact with her? should I make a quirky comment? should I serenade her?
I opted with sliding the cash - casually - onto the counter, taking the coffee and driving away, leaving behind a very generous tip with Christian's money.

You would think that I would have learned my lesson from encountering this scenario, but I assure you that I will always be the crazy girl that sings - way too loudly - and dances - ridiculously - while I drive... and I'm quite alright with that. Life is too short to drive without singing and dancing.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

You know..I dance and sing in my car.I get all kind of crazy stairs!

Faith B said...

haha I love it - people can stare all they want, but I say go ahead. Sing and dance your heart out.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh that movie was fantastic.