Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hypochondriac? No...



Happy Tuesday lovelies!

I was watching the movie 'The Switch' last week and when it came to the 'hypochondria' part - I laughed out loud and then casually nodded my head because I knew that I had a lot in common with this little kid.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Growing up, my parents always called me 'dramatic' - not in the crazy kind of way, but in the quirky way (if that's a thing). I don't like going to the doctor, so my issue is that I Google my symptoms when I notice something different.



It's not as dramatic as finding a mole on my arm and googling it - I mean, come on... I've got some street cred. It's mainly if I have an upset stomach every day for 4-6 months and I diagnose myself as being lactose intolerant - this is a true story, and it was 100% accurate. Most of the time, I can actually figure out what is wrong with me. However, sometimes it can go in the opposite direction. Like the time that I thought I had finger cancer. I legitimately thought that I had finger cancer... and it went a little something like this.

When I was in University, I worked part time at a pet store (pretty sure that isn't even relevant to this story). One day while I was working, I discovered a lump on my finger. It wasn't sore, but it looked pretty bad to me, and I couldn't figure out what it was. I let it slip my mind but monitored it for a few days. After 3-4 days I decided that it must be something serious, so I Googled different possibilities and came up with the conclusion that I had finger cancer. 'Finger cancer' didn't have a lot of medical research yet, but it was determined that it was caused by the 'overuse' of the track-pad on laptops. Guys, the finger that had cancer was the finger that I used on my laptop's track-pad. This was the obvious answer.

I called my mom from work (seriously), told her that I loved her and that I was dying. She laughed it off (rude) and told me that I wasn't dying - I explained the severity of my finger cancer to her, but it was a lost cause. It was a definite no go, she wasn't having it. I told her that I'd probably die before I got to come home for Christmas, but she really didn't care. Since my mom obviously didn't care - I showed my finger to my boss and explained my Google findings. The entire time I spoke, this was the look she gave me:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Alas, nobody believed me - and after 5-6 days the bump went away and so did my thoughts of finger cancer.
Just to be clear - I do not think that cancer is funny, nor do I think it's appropriate to joke about it. I legitimately thought I was dying, but that's obviously just because I am a hypochondriac was a 17 year old idiot.

p.s. HELLO TO ALL OF MY NEW FOLLOWERS.
I'm so stinkin' excited that you're all here! To anyone who hasn't entered THIS GIVEAWAY yet, what are you waiting for?

Have a fantastic day - see y'all tomorrow.

2 comments:

Butterfly In The Attic said...

I'm a new follower my blog is www.ButterflyInTheAttic.blogspot.com

I love this post it is really funny I am a RD by trade so I have just enough medical knowledge to cause myself anxiety and stress but nothing more. I watch TV Med ads and even though I am only half listening a little voice will pop up out of no where and say "you have that" OMG "you have that" which then leads to the google search. LOL

Have a blessed day
Colleen

Unknown said...

hi also a new follower! i am obsessed with webmd and have recently weaned myself a bit more off it, but if i feel like i have the slightest symptom of anything i will run online to check it out and it typically is always cancer on webmd and then like an hour it goes away. so i sympathize!