Tuesday, February 18, 2014

You Don't Know What You've Got... 'Till It's Gone





I'm back, I'm back - you can picture me acting this way because I'm excited to be back today.


Ohhhh hi blog world. I'm back from the dead. Okay, not really dead.. But it's been a while since I've been around here.

If you follow me on twitter or instagram then you may or may not know that I've been a 'little' under the weather. So today I've decided to share a little lesson that I've learned in the past two weeks:

you don't know what you've got until it's gone..


I've heard this phrase so many times in my life but I never really realized how true this was until two weeks ago. My health is something that I take for granted every day. Being able to eat, drink, sleep, workout - these are all things that I've gotten used to being able to do every day and never truly be grateful for it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
My oh-so dramatic 'sick' picture during one of my cold chills.


Let's back-track for a second here.. a few days after February started, my throat started hurting and my jaw started hurting. It felt like I was coming down with some kind of weird hybrid cold/flu because I had an extremely sore throat, jaw, had a fever, and kept having cold chills - but no stuffy nose or coughing. After telling my boss about my symptoms, he sent me home from work and told me that I needed to go to a doctor because I sounded like I had strep... and he was right. I had come down with a severe case of strep and I couldn't seem to get the antibiotics in my body quickly enough to push the sickness out.

At the same time that I discovered I had strep, my 2 wisdom teeth on the left side of my mouth decided to cut through the gums. They got mildly infected because of the strep and the gums got pretty inflamed... this left me with the inability to chew, talk, or even smile. Cue unhappy Faith.

Once the strep had almost fully cleared, the dentist cancelled some appointments and squeezed me in for an emergency surgery to have the teeth extracted - FUN. I had the surgery on Friday and I've spent the past few days recovering and today I'm actually starting to feel little more normal than I have in weeks and I can't tell you how grateful I am for this! It has now been 2 weeks since I've eaten real food or worked out, but I'm hoping to slowly incorporate exercise and food back into my life this week.

Oh, fun fact... Amanda and my Aunt Jay have both started calling me 'Chippy' because of my cheek...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This will forever be the most unflattering picture of myself that I'll post on the internet.


Whoa, this whole post is filled with so much complaining, and I apologize for that. I just wanted to share what life has been like for the past two weeks and remind everyone not to take their health for granted! You truly don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Take care of yourself, friends!




9 comments:

Jay T said...

Ok first of all you still look beautiful even with a swollen cheek. And second I am SO glad you are on the mend and that you took the time to just RELAX and let your body heal! You're almost through it!

Allie said...

You forgot the part where you DIDN'T go to the doctor right away and I practically had to yell at you all the way from North Carolina to go and then you finallllly went. Love ya Chippy

Rachel said...

Oy being sick is no fun :( I had strep and mono at the same time in college, and it was no joke! Glad you're feeling better!!

shannon said...

f'ing wisdom teeth.
such f'ing bullshit.

oh - cheers to your tylenol...

Anonymous said...

Chippy Chip Chip <3333

Unknown said...

Glad to see u back x

Kym @ Travel Babbles said...

mmmm my big Polish cheeks are usually that swollen every day ;) I'm glad that you're feeling better my dear!! xoxo

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

yikes! wisdom teeth pain sucks LARGE. i got all four out in one shot because they were starting to cut through. i spent the week on my couch high on pain meds. it was actually a pretty awesome week haha!

glad that you're feeling better!

-kathy | Vodka and Soda

Whitney Alison said...

I'm pretty sure I looked pretty freaky when they took out my wisdoms. So sorry that you had a perfect storm of sickies, but glad to hear you're feeling better!